Travel is resuming in California, but it's no surprise that regional travel will remain paramount. This makes Catalina Island the ideal getaway to stay close, but feel far when you're ready to take a romantic vacation with your special someone.
The popular song by the Four Preps, “26 Miles Across the Sea,” gave Catalina its name as the island of romance. The song goes: “Santa Catalina, the island of romance // water all around it everywhere, tropical trees and the salty air // but for me the thing that's a-waitin' there's romance.” Many years have passed since the 1957 song hit, but one thing that remains the same is the island’s enchanting beauty, and romantic possibilities.
We’ve put together a list of romantic things to do on Catalina Island, either over Valentine's Day weekend, or whenever the time is right for you to travel.
- Stay at Mt Ada, the former Wrigley mansion, that overlooks Avalon Bay with stunning ocean views. Each of the six guestrooms has a different view of the Pacific Ocean!
- Stroll along Crescent Avenue at sunrise toward the Catalina Casino, watching the town slowly come to life
- Dine at Avalon’s finest restaurants, Avalon Grille and Steve’s Steakhouse, both with peek-a-boo views of Avalon Harbor
- Take a bicycle ride with your loved one around town (guests of Pavilion Hotel receive complimentary adult bicycles with overnight stays)
- Relax in a chaise lounge or private cabana atop the soft white sand at Descanso Beach Club
- Plan a picnic with grab and go items from Bistro at the Atwater. Some of our favorite places to picnic are right on the beach in the center of town, or, for the adventurous, at the top of the Hermit Gulch hiking trail that overlooks Avalon. On a clear day you can even see San Clemente Island in the distance!
Catalina Island is ready to welcome you this Valentine's Day, or in the future for a just-because romantic getaway with our Romance Package.