The weather in Avalon on Catalina Island is usually spectacular. But for those occasional days when the rain does fall, here are some fun things you can enjoy until the sun comes out again.
1. Take a walking tour of Catalina Casino. The Discover the Casino tour lasts about 45 minutes and gives you an overview of the Casino's history and architecture. The Behind the Scenes Casino tour lasts about 90 minutes and offers a more intimate look at this historic icon.
2. Catch a first-run movie at Avalon Theatre. One of the first movie houses in America built for "talkies," historic Avalon Theatre on the lower level of Catalina Casino shows movies each night at 6:30 pm and offers a wide selection of concessions, including beer and wine. Tickets can be purchased at the Casino Box Office.
3. Visit the Catalina Island Museum. Located on Metropole Ave., the Catalina Island Museum offers a permanent exhibit that traces the storied history and culture of Catalina Island. Temporary exhibits featuring art, photography, and other artifacts are displayed throughout the year. There's also a museum store offering jewelry, books, toys, tile & pottery, and gift items that reflect the island's unique past.
4. Explore Lover's Cove Marine Preserve. Depending on sea conditions, the Undersea Expedition and Glass Bottom Boat Voyage, Catalina's longest-running tour, typically operate when it's raining and are great ways to explore the wonders of Catalina's unique marine environment without getting wet.
5. Relax and unwind at the spa. Rainy days are the perfect time to visit Island Spa Catalina. Purchase a day pass and enjoy the spa's Jacuzzi, steam room or sauna. Take a yoga or fitness class at the Wellness Center. Or simply relax and enjoy beverages and bites from Encanto Cafe on the covered ocean view deck.
6. Grab an umbrella and stroll along Crescent Ave. There you'll find a variety of stores you can duck into and shop for a great selection of island memorabilia and gifts to take home. Be sure to stop by Shops at the Atwater for hot coffee, a latte or something from the fresh-and-go breakfast and lunch menus at Bistro at the Atwater.
7. Get back to nature. Operated by the Catalina Island Conservancy, the Nature Center at Avalon Canyon offers self-guided exhibits that focus on the island's natural history and conservation efforts, as well as videos and hands-on activities for kids.
8. Dine above the bay at the former Wrigley mansion. Rain or shine, lunch at historic Mt Ada is an experience you won't soon forget. Perched high on the hill overlooking Avalon Bay, this 4-star hotel offers guests not staying at the property a 3-course lunch that includes beer, wine or sparkling wine. Reservations are required and can be booked through OpenTable.com.
9. Enjoy dinner and a movie. Stop by Avalon Grille between 5 and 6 pm and receive a complimentary ticket to Avalon Theatre for every entree you purchase. Located at the corner of Crescent & Catalina, Avalon Grille offers brunch, dinner and Happy Hour menus with great harbor views. For hours and reservations, call 310.510.7494, or visit OpenTable.com.
10. Pass the time at Three Palms Arcade. Located at the end of Crescent Ave., Three Palms Arcade features a snack bar, bowling lanes and a variety of arcade games to keep you entertained until the sun comes out.
No matter what you choose to do on a rainy day in Avalon, the beauty and charm of Catalina Island always shine through.