Visit and Learn the History of Avalon’s Most Iconic Venues and Attractions
Visitors have been enjoying Catalina’s scenic beauty since the 1890s, when the Catalina Island Company built Hogsback Road up to the ridge above Avalon and began taking guests on horse-driven stagecoach rides. To celebrate its 125th anniversary, the Catalina Island Company is offering two narrated tours that visit many of Avalon’s historic venues and explore Catalina’s early beginnings as California’s Island Escape™.
The Short Tour (1 hour, 15 minutes)
BOOK THE SHORT TOUR
Enjoy scenic canyon and ocean views as you see and learn about many of the venues and attractions built by the Catalina Island Company and visited by millions over the years.
This tour takes you inside:
- Catalina Country Club, originally the Cubs clubhouse and home to a huge collection of sports memorabilia
You’ll also see and learn about:
- The site of the baseball field where Wrigley’s Chicago Cubs held Spring Training from 1921 to 1951
- Wrigley Memorial & Botanical Gardens, built to honor William Wrigley Jr. and his vision for Catalina Island
- Former Bird Park, a popular attraction that housed thousands of birds before it closed in 1966 after 40 years
- The Catalina Chimes Tower, which has chimed every 15 minutes since the Wrigleys built it in 1925 as a gift to the people of Avalon
The Long Tour (2 hours)
In addition to the sights included in the shorter tour, this tour takes you inside:
- Historic Avalon Theatre in the iconic Casino, one of the first theaters designed for “talkies”
- Beautiful Mt. Ada, the former Wrigley mansion, which is now Avalon’s only Forbes 4-Star accommodations
*Prices are subject to change without notice and do not include Avalon City Admissions Tax or Harbor Use Fees. Tours and times are subject to change.