Book Your Trip
Boat-In Campsites Offer Seclusion
Santa Catalina Island’s Boat-In Campsites allow you to enjoy true seclusion along the amazing Pacific coast. There are 17 sites at nine locations around the leeside shore of the island. These campsites can only be reached by boat or kayak, and you must pack in your own equipment and supplies. A ranger checks each campground every day.
Each Boat-In Campsite is unique in location and regulations. The sites are all primitive, with no running water, shade structures, moorings or sanitation stations. Campers are required to bring their own portable restroom and pack out any trash or waste. Because fires are not allowed, cooking must be done in a self-contained BBQ or camp stove.
- Rippers - 8.6 miles from Avalon / 4 miles from Two Harbors
- Paradise Cove - 8.4 miles from Avalon / 4.25 miles from Two Harbors
- Lava Wall - 8.1 miles from Avalon / 4.5 miles from Two Harbors
- Gibraltar - 7.1 miles from Avalon / 5.5 miles from Two Harbors
- Cabrillo - 7 miles from Avalon/ 5.75 miles from Two Harbors
- Goat Harbor - 6.2 miles from Avalon / 6.4 miles from Two Harbors
- Italian Gardens - 5.25 miles from Avalon / 7.4 miles from Two Harbors
- Long Point Beach - 4.875 miles from Avalon / 7.75 from Two Harbors
- Willow Cove - 2.75 miles from Avalon / 9.9 miles from Two Harbors
Directions to Campgrounds
Boat-In Campsites are accessible only by boat or kayak. Each of the nine locations are on the leeside of Santa Catalina Island (same side as Avalon). A ranger will check you in to your Boat-In Campsite.
Kayak rentals are available at Descanso Beach Ocean Sports, Joe's Rent-A-Boat and Wet Spot Rentals. Selected camping equipment is available for rent from Two Harbors Visitor Services. For more information, please call: 310-510-4205.
WARNING: If Catalina Island is experiencing adverse weather there is a possibility of trail, road, and campground closures. High winds could result in possible express boat cancellations. Please watch the weather. You can call the Two Harbors Visitor Service Center for updates on closures, 310.510.4205.
Rates & Fees
Nightly camping fee with prior reservation are $21 for adults; $11 for children (age 2-11). *Weekends have a 2 night minimum, holidays have a 3 night minimum. For groups of 20 or more group rates apply, please call: 310.510.2000 ext. 4242.
Los Angeles County fire rules and Catalina Island Conservancy rules are strictly enforced. There is a coastal ranger who will make daily visits to each boat-in site. It is strongly suggested that campers come equipped with a VHF radio for medical emergency calls.