120 Sumner Ave
Avalon, CA 90704
Historic Charm in a Great Location
Built at the start of the roaring twenties, this city-block-sized property was named in honor of Ada and William Wrigley Jr.’s daughter-in–law, Helen Atwater Wrigley, wife of Philip K. Wrigley. The hotel once featured a ground floor cafeteria, billed as the world’s largest, that could seat 1,500 people, and during World War II, served as the main housing and headquarters for the Merchant Marines.
The original construction was overseen by the famed, Pasadena-based architect, David Malcolm “D.M.” Renton, who was tasked by William Wrigley Jr. with delivering the building in time for the 1920 summer tourist season—less than a year after Wrigley purchased control of the Catalina Island Company in 1919. Defying all expectations, Renton, who would later add Mt. Ada, the Casino Ballroom, the Wrigley Memorial and the El Encanto building to his long list of Catalina Island projects, proved himself up to the task, and the Hotel Atwater opened on July 1, 1920.
Planned improvements include a more spacious lobby, with seating areas where guests can mingle, a ground floor restaurant and bar, an elevator and meeting facilities. Custom-designed furniture will grace the guest rooms, along with upgraded finishes and larger bathrooms – all featuring a modern aesthetic, with a nod to the art deco style of the era in which the hotel was built.
Hotel Atwater will reopen in summer 2019, with a fresh new look from top to bottom—perfect timing to plan its 100th anniversary party the following year!
* The Hotel Atwater is currently closed for renovations.
Images & Video
Located a 1/2 block from the beach, the Hotel Atwater offers 91 rooms with 4 different room types, including family rooms & suites. Baggage service to and from Avalon boat landing. Complimentary storage room for dive gear, mountain bikes, and luggage. Located in the heart of Avalon just steps from the waterfront. Non-smoking property.