Maintenance and Garage Manager
The Catalina Island Company is seeking a full time, year round Maintenance and Garage Manager for our Vehicle Maintenance Department.
The incumbent is responsible for overseeing the garage maintenance program, operational safety, vehicle inspections, and vehicle repairs. Accurate record keeping for maintenance and inspections. Ensure compliance with California Highway Patrol (CHP), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and all other applicable laws and regulations. Hard work, self-motivation and pride in workmanship are just a few of the qualities we expect and look for in our team.
The incumbent is responsible for:
- Managing daily operations of the Avalon maintenance and garage facility and its productivity
- The quality, service, safety and maintenance records of garage operations
- Preventive maintenance program implementation: scheduled servicing, inspections, and vehicle repairs to prevent potential problems and maximize vehicle availability
- Develop preventive maintenance program to proactively avoid or reduce vehicle breakdowns based on time, mileage, engine hours, or combination
- Ensuring PM actions include vehicle inspection and paperwork, lubrication schedule and CHP compliance
- Acting as a liaison between the garage maintenance team and the operation
- Continuously communicate accurately and timely interruptions in service to operations team regarding vehicle availability and expected down time
- Communicate planned preventive maintenance with the operations team
- Develop in depth working knowledge of the Auto Fluent automotive software system in order to manage proper maintenance logs, scheduled inspections and inventory levels
- Develop working knowledge of the Adaco purchasing software system to purchase and maintain inventory
- Develop working knowledge of the payroll system and ensure accurate time and attendance records are processed in a timely manner for all garage personnel.
- Write repair orders for all vehicles and work with mechanics to prioritize safety related items
- Work with other department heads responsible for department vehicles, liaise with mechanics to determine parts and labor requirements
- Billable labor hours, parts and invoicing for inter department vehicles
- Work closely with the purchasing and receiving department on companywide vehicle ordering
- Responsible for parts room, tire and operational inventory
- Address all disciplinary issues with staff team members as applicable and ensure proper documentation is maintained for performance concerns and corrective action
- Maintain garage work schedules to ensure staffing levels are sufficient enough to meet workload demands and maintain safety requirements
- Monitor budget and expenditures on a regular basis to ensure annual budget objectives are achieved. Participate in the annual budget process
- Schedule regular safety meetings and conduct hands on safety training for all personnel, including department supervisors, gas station attendants and automotive technicians to comply with OSHA standards.
- Develop and schedule all motor tour vehicles preventative maintenance program and ensure the inspections are on time
- Monitor CHP 45 day compliance timelines & paperwork compliance
- Possess knowledge and skills for safe and effective garage equipment use, as well as various equipment and system inspections
- Work closely with outside agencies when needed to ensure all elements are maintained properly
- Ensure employees comply with all safety protocols, including accident, injury and evaluation at all times
- Maintain strong knowledge and understanding of out-of-service criteria for vehicles in need of repairs
- Maintain clear and ongoing communication with the Vice President of Activities.
- Must complete a required garage vehicle safety training course as offered by the company through Safety Research Consultants.
- Must have or immediately obtain CPR, AED and First Aid Training.
- Certified in Risk Management
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment and decision making skills
- Excellent written, communication and customer service skills
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record
- Proven leadership ability
- Computer Skills: Outlook, Word, Excel
- Professional Appearance
- Positive attitude and a commitment to detail
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and appropriate relationships with the public, City of Avalon, other Authorities, agencies and employees
Education and/or Experience:
- Ten (10) years related experience in garage and maintenance operations management
- Military experience with managing vehicle maintenance operation a plus
- 2+ years of Service Writer Experience preferred
- Associate’s degree or technical school certificate in related field preferred
- Experience managing fleet vehicle maintenance
- Master Mechanic Certification desired
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively respond to questions from managers, clients, guests and the general public. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time, bend, twist, stoop, squat, stretch and reach overhead on a regular basis.
- Manual dexterity to operate equipment and machinery.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuous basis.
- Visual acuity to be able to operate various equipment and machinery as well as to communicate with co-workers, vendors and management
We offer a competitive salary with comprehensive benefits program, including health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K with Match, vacation, and Employee Discount program to include free tour attractions and for our various venues.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor