Front of House Supervisor
The Catalina Island Company is seeking a full time seasonal Front of House Supervisor for the Avalon Grille. There is a possibility this position may grow into a year round position. Current seasonal position is April through September 2018.
The incumbent is responsible for assisting the General Manager with the seamless running of the highly popular operation Avalon Grille. Avalon Grille, is the signature restaurant in the companies F&B portfolio. This waterfront restaurant features American regional dishes with a seasonal approach, paired with a world class selection of wines, micro-brew beers and cocktails in a casual and fun "al fresco" atmosphere overlooking Avalon Bay. This outlet has elevated the quality of food, beverage and service on the island. Every weekend the restaurant and bar transforms into an elegant cocktail lounge offering superb cocktails with live music from an international DJ. As the Catalina Island Company is constantly growing our products and services there is a possibility this position may grow into a year round position. Current seasonal position is April through September 2018
The incumbent is responsible for:
- Ensuring the front of house is properly staffed in order to provide efficient and effective service in a warm and hospitable manner
- Overseeing front of house employees (assist in training, supervising, coaching and motivating the team). Provide leadership and direction to team members to ensure efficient operations as well as assisting with staff evaluations
- Overseeing the day-to-day operations of all dining facilities
- Inspecting staff members to ensure grooming, uniforms and appearance are in compliance with Avalon Grille policy
- Serving as liaison between the dining room and kitchen staff
- Ensuring all side work is accomplished prior to staff leaving and all supplies are properly stocked
- Overseeing the cleanliness of the dining area (all Front of House)
- Ensuring proper set up of the dining room for the next day’s service and any upcoming events
- Assisting with pre-meal meetings with the dining room staff prior to events and dinners
- Assisting with quarterly inventory of silverware, china and glassware. Assisting with weekly and/or monthly inventory of liquor
- Designing floor plans and server stations for service
- Ensuring that the team has excellent product knowledge and are able to deliver outstanding customer service
- Maintaining an atmosphere that provides exceptional dining experiences for guests
- Resolving guest concerns and implement solutions to ensure guest satisfaction
- Identifying service and product issues and make recommendations for improvements as needed
- Working collaboratively with culinary team to execute menu items and daily specials
- Observing and maintaining daily conditions of restaurant facility. Oversee and ensure cleanliness in accordance with state and local regulations
- Maintaining a positive, energizing work environment
- Maintaining safe working conditions and ensuring safe work practices are followed to avoid accidents/injuries. Ensure health and safety policies are adhered to at all times
- Acting as the Opening and Closing Supervisor or Manager on duty in the absence of the Manager
- Strong passion for culinary excellence
- Strong knowledge of commonly used restaurant procedures and restaurant software programs
- Basic knowledge of cost controls
- Strong administration and management skills, have the ability to sell and train colleagues, very hands on and supportive in achieving the common team goals
- Must be well versed in and have working knowledge of Micros Point of Sale system or similar program
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Serve Safe Certificate
- Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) Certificate
- Education and/or Experience:
- A diploma or degree in hospitality management or business is desirable.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years restaurant experience.
- Possess the drive to provide exceptional customer service.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to effectively respond to questions from managers, clients, customers and the general public. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Requires visual acuity and ability to hear to clearly communicate with managers, coworkers, guests and vendors
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Must be able to reach with arms and hands
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Must have finger to hand dexterity to be able to grip, grasp items or equipment
We offer a highly competitive salary with health, dental life, 401K Match, vacation and sick benefits for all Full Time regular positions. Both Full Time and Part Time positions receive discounts in F&B outlets in the company and discounted hotel rooms and activity tours.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.