Perched on a hill, overlooking both Isthmus and Catalina Harbors on Catalina’s west end, Banning House Lodge was built in the Craftsman style in 1910 by the Banning brothers, and served as their Island summer home.
Sons of General Phineas Banning, the Banning brothers purchased Catalina Island in 1892. William, Joseph and Hancock provided steamship transportation from the mainland to the Island, and in 1894 they created the Santa Catalina Island Company, developing activities and attractions to promote their new resort destination.
To get to their summer lodge in Two Harbors from Avalon, the brothers had to travel by stagecoach. The rugged journey took two days each way. The Bannings sold Catalina Island, making way for chewing gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. to purchase the Santa Catalina Island Company (including the Island) in 1919.
Over the years, the Lodge served as the U.S. Coast Guard officer's quarters during WWII, as a private girls camp in the late 1950's, a hunting lodge, and as employee housing. Today, the Banning House is a twelve room bed and breakfast with a historic and warm feel and beautiful panoramic views of Two Harbors.