The Banning House is perched on the hill, overlooking both Isthmus and Cat Harbor. It was built in 1910 by the Banning brother's to serve as their summer home. The brothers traveled by stagecoach from Avalon. The rugged journey took two days to go one-way. Since 1910 the Lodge has served as the U.S. Coast Guard officer's quarters during WWII, as a private girls camp in the late 1950's, a hunting lodge, and as employee housing. Today it is an eleven room bed and breakfast with a feel from the past and is called the Banning House Lodge.