Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Zip Line Guide (Part-Time/Seasonal)
REPORTS TO: Director of Descanso Canyon Activities
DEPARTMENT: Zip Line
Under supervision of the Director of Descanso Canyon Activities, in accordance with the mission and vision of the Company, provides a safe, entertaining and informative zipline eco tour experience for all participants. The main function, in addition to ensuring each participant’s safety, is to create an educational and unforgettable experience that each participant will remember and talk about for many years.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position is responsible for ensuring the safety and exceptional experience of all zipline eco tour participants. The Zipline Guide is responsible for, but not limited to, the following essential duties:
- Daily opening and closing procedures of zipline course.
- Conduct complete inspections of all course components and gear.
- Fit harnesses and helmets correctly and supervise the use of all safety equipment.
- Conduct pre-tour safety orientation for each tour group.
- Demonstrate proper riding techniques.
- Perform proper safety checks while following a series of critical safety protocols and methods.
- Perform course retrievals and rescues.
- Assure the safety and wellbeing of each participant throughout each tour.
- Use customer engagement skills to ensure a memorable experience for each participant.
- Educate participants about Santa Catalina Island ecology through an approved tour script.
- Assist with course maintenance efforts.
- Attend required meetings and trainings.
1. Pre-Tour Duties
A. Thoroughly inspects zipline course structural components and gear.
B. Inspects personal safety equipment for integrity and cleanliness.
C. Inspects property for cleanliness, supplies (water, first aid, etc.).
D. Assist with check-ins, weigh-ins, waivers and safety equipment distribution.
2. Tour Duties
A. Meets and establishes rapport with each participant.
B. Reviews safety guidelines, answer questions.
C. Demonstrates how to carry, wear and utilize safety equipment.
D. Provides a safety demonstration on the sample zipline.
E. Assists loading passengers into the vehicle.
F. Continues to build relationship with participants throughout the tour by using communication skills to listen, engage and converse. Builds excitement about the forthcoming experience.
G. Assists unloading participants from vehicle and escorts them to initial platform.
H. Reinforces safety guidelines.
I. Introduces tour displays, answer questions and enthusiastically present island ecology facts and history.
J. Attaches participants to the zipline system and perform essential safety checks every time before anyone zips, including self.
K. Zips to consecutive platforms, demonstrating proper riding techniques.
L. Assists with the landing of each participant, insuring their safety on every approach.
M. Conducts continuous inspections of course elements and equipment throughout each tour.
3. Post Tour Duties
A. Debriefs participants enthusiastically while suggesting and cross-selling other Company venues, activities and events.
B. Manages all safety equipment inspection and maintenance, including but not limited to cleaning, sanitizing, organizing and preparation.
Must complete and pass required site-specific zipline safety training course as well as island ecology training course conducted by the Company. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Potential guides must have or immediately obtain CPR, AED and First Aid Training and be able to work comfortably at heights.
This person must be able to communicate effectively with both adults and children in both group and individual settings. Must be able to handle stressful situations calmly and effectively. This person must be able to handle various tasks in a creative and motivated manner. Must have a great attention to detail to ensure safety and overall positive guest experience. This person must have excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Prior experience with outdoor recreation, athletics, educational roles and/or zip lining a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Candidates must have the physical capability to maneuver themselves as well as assist and accommodate participants of various sizes throughout the course, including rescue scenarios.
- Must be able to walk, stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 8 hours.
- Must be able to hike, climb and work at various heights and altitudes.
- Must have full range of overhead arm motions and full hand dexterity.
- Requires visual acuity and the ability to hear clearly in an outdoor environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 100 lbs on a regular and continuous basis.
- Must have a strong upper body to pull self and be able to pull and push participants weighing up to 250 lbs along each cable and platform’s incline.
- Must be able to effectively decrease the speed of and stop participants of various weights and speeds as they approach all incoming platforms.
- Must be able to bend, twist, stoop, squat, stretch, push and pull on a regular and continuous basis.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
Each Zip Line Guide is required to work in a fast-paced, physical, social, professional and team oriented work environment. The majority of the work is conducted outdoors in climates from 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
ALCOHOL & DRUG TESTING:
Employees may not arrive on duty under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Because this position is a safety sensitive position, employees will be subject to random alcohol and drug testing if it is suspected that an employee is at work under the influence of alcohol or drugs (including misuse of prescription medications).
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.